I post here because am indeed going to Azerbaijan but not before a few journeys in between.
I have been a bit of a recluse since my mom's passing...there are only a few friends with whom I have been in touch and even fewer received much email from me. It's been the solitude I have needed to get through this time. I do appreciate all those who reached out--thank you...and thank you for holding that sacred space for me.
So I won't get too much into the logistics of what has happened since my mom's passing. That's too draining and not...shall I say, joyful confab. It has been very emotional and not without challenges but I have done well considering.
I started teaching at the prison which has gone well and was creating significant momentum with WA stakeholders for a restorative justice model as an alternative to the punitive model instituted now. But just as we were about to sign an agreement it all, quite literally, blew up in our face when four police officers were ambushed and murdered. WA police officers were a major stakeholder of this peace and forgiveness model I was proposing ... not so much any more ... at least not right now when emotions are running rampant.
The crazy thing is that though that was a disappointment on many levels, I actually got a lot more clarity about my life initiatives following that horrific event. I had been wanting to leave WA for a while. Though I had garnered significant support and had really gained the kind of respect needed to make big changes at the state level, I felt a sense of relief when it all fell through ... down deep I know am really ready to leave. It doesn't make sense to those who believe I have established credibility at the state level but... if you know me, I often make decisions that don't make sense because I follow my intuition and heart. It always leads me to where I need to go even if it means uncertainty and building new relations with uncertain income streams. But networking is my forte and I trust that the lesson is far more valuable than the dollar so.... here I go.
My clarity was bolstered when I drove down to OR and CA for Christmas to visit my favorite Aunt (Mom's sister) who just weeks prior lost her husband to a heart attack. It was an incredibly loving and emotional visit but somehow was just perfect.
I started my vacation in WA really. I inherited my parent's timeshare at the ocean so the week prior (early December) before leaving to OR, I stayed there for 4 days. I
hiked in the snow (a rarity at the ocean) to an icy lake, sat under the stars while soaking in the hot-tub, went to the gym and rode the bike while watching the ocean waves crash into the rocks! Something was lifting...A week later I hit the road driving south. I started out in Cottage Grove, OR which is just 1/2 hour south of Eugene. There my friends Netti and Brian took me to social gatherings where I was reminded the little things in life can be just as flavorful as larger events. I loved that no-one knew of my current set of challenges. I had a wonderful time just being in the moment and letting the night lead me into pleasurable events and interesting people.

I stayed there in Cottage Grove for 3 days. I took a hike in the rain through the mossy green forest just off my friend's property. I thought I would listen to an uplifting podcast but found the sound of rain dancing on leaves much more meditative and pleasurable. I also took a series of self-photos which took more time than the hike I think...primarily cuz I kept missing the target--me!!!
K...not too bad.
...And not too good...But I like my narcissism and did a lot of that to document my trip down the coast. Not the safest thing in the world to do while driving but I have yet to hear of a law that bans the fun. So I let it all hang out!
It was really a spectacular drive down the coast. I put on a little bit of David Sedaris and all traffic jams became a blessing-allowing me to hold onto that moment just a little longer and laugh and laugh ...and laugh. David cracks my shit up!!!
<----- me laughing. And traffic jams also make for safer photo opps right? Here are a few while at a dead stop. Don't I look safer?! 

But really my favorite shots are of reflections off the windows and mirrors...while driving.
<------- Cool right?! And I have a whole series of side mirror photos from all over the US. Nice eh?! ----------->
So on with my drive ....over the bridge...
and through the ocean breeze ...
...I stopped for lunch at this pull off just outside the infamous Cous Bay ... I just barely made it in time for this photo ... for some reason I don't look as natural as I intended?
What up with the angle?!So I finally made it down to Brookings which is right on the border of OR/CA on the coast. Amazing little progressive town and not as outrageously expensive as you might imagine. I am so happy my Aunt lives in a community like this where she has such a wonderful network of friends. She's an outgoing loving type with a striking presence and engaging personality. She's a proud red-hatter. I like to think I am more like her ... at least I hope I am. She is such an inspiration. Here we are at a spot she and her now late husband frequented.
(Aunt Treas and Me)The following day would be my Aunt's first day back since her husband's passing a few weeks earlier. I went into the high end thrift store where she works, bought myself a few skirts (since I had brought none for Christmas service) and then went out and enjoyed my sun-shinny day.
As many of you know, I am a HUGE water and water-life lover. As an avid kayaker, I have seen many porpoise and even whales while out in the Puget Sound. And it seems every where I go, I see whales. Check it OUT!! ---->

All day long I was again gifted with a front row seat where I watched gray whales feed and spout.
It was 68 degrees and so when I wasn't stuck on perma smile while watching the whales, I struck up a conversation with someone or sat on the hood of my Sante Fe and read
... or simply soaked up the delight of the day. 
I made it part of my daily ritual the 5 days I was there to visit the sea at least twice a day. I was met with amazing sunsets, cascading ocean views and blessed symbols to light my day.








<------- Angel shot. Me sitting staring at the angel ------> 
And this photo I call ... what else but "sunshine on my shoulder"

After visiting my Aunt ... actually Aunt's. Another one of my Mom's sister, Ranae came for Christmas too so we had lots to talk about and catch up on .... Next, I went and visited friends in Ashland and toured around there too. Two days was just enough then I headed in to the mountains of CA to visit another doctorate colleague, Pam Coy. That was a quick jaunt. I was nestled in the sleepy little town of Dunsmuir for not quite a full day but enough to have a wonderful visit with Pam and at least one self photo...couldn't resist this mirror.

From there I slowly made my way back up I-5 ... I stopped in Medford, OR intending to take a short break and possibly see the movie Avatar everyone told me I MUST see but ended up spending a few hours writing a long letter in the coffee shop next door to the theatre ... I had to get rolling though because it was late afternoon, snowing and I still had another pass to climb. It was a sucky, messy drive and I was fried by the time I got back into Cottage Grove for the night. Ate dinner, had a short visit, did a Tarrot card reading to help me uncover my mysterious life, and went to bed.
The next morning my friends left early as they were heading to the Rose Bowl so I took a jacuzzi, showered and made it up to Portland by the early afternoon to visit two more set of doctorate friends. Here is David and Suzanne's lovely home that looks out onto the heart of Portland.
Suzanne is an amazing artist...her paintings are speckled through out the entire place. Seeing them was bitter-sweet. When last I saw them--in late June--I was bidding farewell and even had a lovely conversation with their son Jeffrey who is about 6-7 year older than me and whose wife is Armenian (David is too, Jeffrey half Armenian) who shared with me a ton about Azerbaijan ...well really, more about the conflict between the two countries but it really was a wonderful visit. Seeing Jeffrey again was especially difficult. He saw the excitement in my eyes prior to saying good-bye. I promised to stay in touch while overseas ... So this time again, I promised to stay in touch as I head over this time ... but not as a Peace Corps volunteer, but a tourist of sorts visiting my PCV friends who I would have been working along side by now. It brings me joy to think I will soon be playing along side them soon :)I also saw another doctorate colleague Ruth who always manages to squeeze in time no matter how incredibly busy she is ... that too was a bitter-sweet visit for the same reasons. I didn't get to visit Georgette (another colleague). Since she married, life has been full for her. I miss her though. I missed seeing colleague Cathy Carrier in Ashland too because her husband was at a hospital in Portland preparing for surgery because he is donating a life-saving kidney. How inspiring right!?!
On January 1st, I left OR and crossed over the Columbia river into WA. Going back to Shelton brings up a lot of letting go but I am re-fueled enough to let it all happen. All my belongings will be in 5x10 storage unit in a few weeks and in about a month I will be driving off to Arizona (the first AZ). There I will assess my options for probable employment for a week or so then fly out of PHX into Turkey first, then eventually Azerbaijan (the other AZ). I also want to visit Georgia, and possibly a few other countries like Bulgaria, Romania, Greece etc ... we'll see. One of those countries is where I will spend my next birthday--cool not to know yet. I will be gone through mid-May, fly back to PHX, make a decision on my move and then drive back to WA to pack up my stuff, tie-up all my loose ends and ... if it is my decision, move to AZ--the state that is.
By the time I get back in May, my younger brother may have already started tearing down the house for re-model leaving it as a shell. So strange to see a house pregnant with Mom's stuff but soon it will be ALL gone...all gone--forever. These are some of the images I leave behind.... but will forever be locked in the recesses of my memory.


The lake has always been a refuge for me. This is where I grew up and lived this last year while care-taking for Mom. I am a water child no doubt and it feels a bit strange to go into the desert but it also feels like my calling and I am listening.
But...I will move on, live on and grow from it all. Life is full of mystery and I am embracing it. Thank you WA, thank you friends, colleagues, prisoners. Thank you mom and dad and family ... From AZ to AZ I will travel and unlock my calling.
Here I go!! Looking into the sky and asking for more ... knowing ... trusting that it will all be revealed.
Bring it on!
19 comments:
Love the pictures!
Shaz,
I am sorry to hear about your mom! mine passed long time ago, it truly
leaves a gap in your existence in so many ways. My good wishes go to
you.
and thank you for the trip account, it was a great read.
Please do stay in touch and let me know if you need anything. I
realize you will be so busy and won't be able to see everyone.
However, if you feel you would like some company for lunch/dinner, I
would be happy to take you out.
Gauhar
Shaz, It's great to hear from you again and hear that you are back in motion. It sounds like your winter travels were just what you needed and I'm sure your upcoming road trip to AZ and then travels overseas will be perfect. It's hard to put your life on hold for a loved one, but then even harder to get your life back on track (or should I say, easy to just stay on hold). Definitely let us know when you're back in town. I'll keep posting Karsten pictures on Facebook. Take care & know we love you and are thinking of you!
Andrea
Hello Dr Shaz,
It was so good to read these reflections upon your life transformation and winter travels! I was sorry to miss you while you were in town but, as I knew I would, had my hands full which was lovely but challenging too.
I’m so happy to know that you are feeling free to ride the wind and let destiny unfold…..
Luv
Gette
This is great! thanks for sharing - again. I wasn't getting anything on the blog until this note and I thought I had subscribed.
Patricia G Coon
Oh, Shaz,
Thank you so much for gathering us all up to journey with you over these past months. It was no surprise that your e-mail arrived today, as we also receive our Christmas card back sent to you at Ambaum Blvd. in Seattle.
Your journey was so touching, so dear, so deep. What a special aunt, what a love the coast has in you! The pictures are wonderful, and I’ve cycled through them several times.
Azerbaijan is an extraordinary part of the world… an ancient crossroads full of mystery. I cannot imagine being there. It will be a wonder to learn what you discover on the surface and hidden beneath, and what you discover in yourself there. We wish you all kinds of travel mercies, and most importantly to
Vaya con Dios,
Mickey Griffin
Shaz....
What a wonderful adventure you have had, and your blog lets me (us) join you,,,and an amazing journey you about to have.
It sounds like what lies ahead will be powerful journey.
Please keep the doctorate list connected.
For those of us with everyday lives, your travels are
Enlivening.
I wish for you a splendid journey and traveling mercies,
Penny
Wow Shaz,
Sounds like you have some good plans.
Sure enjoyed your pictures.
We are heading out in the motor home on Feb. 10th also.
Hope you have a wonderful trip and enjoy all your experiences.
Later,
Bill & Jean :o)
Hi Shaz,
I understand the solitude. After, and since, Jason's death, I have spent a lot of time alone, and just enough time with people.
Wanted to say I have many relatives in Brookings on Mom's side of the family, named Colemans. They have shops all over the town.
Much fascination and soul-making in Azerbaijan. My daughter was there for two years with the Peace Corps in early 2000.
Love and blessings, and thanks for the update,
Oh, not sure if I told you, but in September I began a doctoral program at Pacifica Grad. Inst. near Santa Barbara in Mythology and Depth Psychology - loving it.
Michael Bogar
Hey Shaz,
I am definitely going to miss our dinners out when you're gone!
I didn't know you were a David Sedaris fan! So am I, big time. Have you seen him live? Tony and I have gone the past few years when he's come to Seattle -- even funnier in person.
Glenda
Hi Shaz,
Sounds great! I'm so glad the grief is easing up enough for you to
see the sunshine on your shoulder. Loved the pictures!
I thought of you a number of times around Christmas and was going to
call but time zones and life's surprises stymied me. Sorry.
Your path is unfolding again. I love that you follow your heart and
intuition. Keep moving through Soul Sistah.
Please remember how deeply you are loved.
Kate (one of the many who love you deeply)
Thanks for the update Shaz. Journey well. Much love, Alissa
Well, well, well......quite the adventure going on. This gift of grieving.....so fecund. Your looking good!
If you are driving down this way again let me know. The kidney transplant is still moving forward. Paul has to do a few more tests here before they decide if he is the guy. I'd say we are at 85% he is. The trip to OHSU was intense and interesting..It was the snow days up there!
And I love your pictures.......
Hugs and blessings,
Cathy
Thanks Shaz for the update. What a rich and extraordinary time you describe.
AND those photos make me yearn for the ocean.
Holding you and the loss of your mom in my thoughts. AZ to AZ -- Love
that!!! Keep me posted.
Xo
Deidre
Shaz, Thanks for sharing your photos and stories from your journeys. Sounds like a very rich and meaningful time. And the upcoming trip sounds as though it will be a wonderful opportunity for you. Will keep you in heart and prayer as you make this pilgrimage and await hearing where you finally end up when you get back.
Peace,
Mel
Hi Shaz!
This WAS FABULOUS! Great pictures, stories, connections and amazing GROWTH! You ROCK GIRL. I hope we get a chance to see each other before you leave...
All my Love & Blessings,
Harold
Hey Shaz
Good to hear from you-we figured your silence meant you needed the healing time. We're in India with Russill on pilgramage-just arrived yesterday so its all ahead and we're excited. Will be here until Feb 10. Will connect with you down the line
Love & Blessings
Mike & Becky
…have great fun, find the next adventure or two (or three or four), savor the unfolding possibilities.
Sending great care
Alex
I sit, read chuckle and marvel watching you "doing spiritual". You are on your path.You are a model of ministry.
Blessings,
David
Post a Comment