Odd to leave a place you have lived so many years...I mean I have lived all over the Seattle area, Olympia and of course my little red-neck logging town of Shelton where I grew up and lived with my mom while care-taking this last year off and on (along with the must get-aways for sanity reasons). I also lived in CA for about 7 years and traveled remote parts of the world so I know what it feels to be away from the beautiful NW, but because I have been wanting to leave WA for a few years now and have had opportunities that were taking me far from WA, the urgency has become so obvious that not even the ego stroking I received working with VIP state officials was enough to titillate and have me stay a little longer…and longer. In fact when the 4 police officers were murdered and my proposal virtually squashed, I felt a sense of relief. It is good to know that I can handle being ego crushed and come out of it smiling and move on!! And move on to ... (fill in the space) who knows where!
Of course there were some unnamable factors that greatly enhanced my urgency to get the Hell out but ... we won't go there :) Life is good ... God is good and I am embracing it and learning all that I can even in these days where I was so obviously on edge and have sported a bit of a logger town mouth as of late! Go figure!
Not even the loving tears of friends and clients could tease me to stay ... I am so so so ready.
That is NOT to say that I haven't recognized the amazing opportunities and friends that I have, who kept me in check and held me through trying times ... I don't know what I would do without friends but I am so very grateful to all of them ... especially those who have reached out these last months. The irony to see or at least talk with all my clients-turned friends, prior to leaving was a blessing also. Thank you all!!
Hard to believe that less than 2 weeks ago I was hanging with one of my most supportive friends Trish at Ocean Shores at my time-share (inherited).
It was a great get-away turned temporary home. I could see it all ... the ocean's ebb and flow, life paths drawn into the sand -- nature is always there as a constant reminder of the richness this path of life has to offer me.

And I am grateful for the guys at the prison who allowed me to come into their lives and renew spiritual principles with them, which in turn helped remind me of my own path! Crazy the places you can call a home for the heart. But the prison definitely offered me that place to express and be closer to Spirit and God. They also helped me become stronger with my own personal boundaries...and that is something I really needed to foster within my immediate circle that I was thrust into since mom passed. So here's to the guys at WCC. Cheers! And be good boys! Know I believe in you!
Because of my premature departure from the house due to some unforeseen circumstances, my decision on what to pack as I travel for Arizona, and my trip overseas became less determined so right there and then I decided to pack two bags rather than one as I have done in the past when traveling overseas. So, anything I thought I might want simply was thrown into a pile and then into a space bag. I would have time while at Jordon’s to decide and consider. The guesthouse I will come and go from in Istanbul will hold one of my bags so I will actually only be dragging two bags from and back to the US. Besides, I am packing stuff that I will eat or use so there will be less because I never buy much when overseas. I take pictures!! … Often of myself as evidenced here… :)
But thank God for Jordon. What would I do without him?! Jordon has two homes and he has been in CO for over a year. As much as I miss his presence, having a place to stay has made my life sooooooo much easier when I stayed in Seattle at least once a week. It allowed me to grieve at a pace and place that was perfect for me. Thank you Jordon!! I don’t know how I can thank you enough…you have no idea how special that gift was for me!!
Not only did it serve as a place to cocoon, it treated my soul too. His downtown-Belltown flat looks over the Puget Sound—a perfect place to be for a water lover like me…ohh my the life it invites! Here are the views …
And here are the views of my pile of clothes… I actually was so exhausted this eve after pulling two all nighters to get out of the house, that I fell asleep on top of them --> 
Within a few days I was able to think about what to bring and what not.
It would go something like this …
Motorcycle helmet—CHECK… but I like to let the wind flow through my hair—UN-CHECK... But it might be cold and nice to have something on my head—CHECK…but it is cumbersome to pack and carry around—UN-CHECK…but remember what happen to your neighbor when she didn’t have a helmet but fortunately has had amazing support from family since her accident—K, that could be a serious double-whammy if something like that were to happen to me!—CHECK-CHECK—take it!!
Levi’s with flower to cover the holes—yah that’s not gonna work in these Muslim rich countries—NOT. 
Air mattresses—ABSOLUTELY—taken them both!! CHECK-CHECK!! So that was kinda how it went for the ½ hour it took to go through it all.
A compactable sleeping bag was a late take thanks to a great sale at a sporting good place I visited this last week. I actually had not intended to take one but there is an Azerbaijan elder peer from my Peace Corps class who was really a wonderful motherly support when I was going through the pains of the loosing my own mother. She lives in one of the most popular mountain regions of Azerbaijan and has offered me to stay as long as I want but it required a sleeping bag…so, what the Hell I have two suitcases--CHECK…I am excited to travel there because it may have been where I would have ended up. I will spend at least a few days there. For the most part I have no idea how long I will stay anywhere… there are a few people I absolutely want to see in Azerbaijan and with whom I hope to travel with but really, I am just going with the flow.
So my life has been very full as of late… I spent the last week seeing some of my best friends. Les in Anacortes (right on the border of Canada and WA) where we intended to watch the Olympics that was delayed by 3 hours and ticked all us off. I found a European station online and we ended up watching it there. How stupid that we practically could throw a rock at Vancouver but NBC decided to delay broadcast for all west coast viewers! Whatever!
The next day I visited my really good friends Eric Andrea and their 12 month-old Karsten! God he is the sweetest little guy—love him! Loved playing with him and taking timed photos with him. 
We watched Apolo Ono skate and win a medal! I love Apolo Ono—he’s so spiritually rich! I love the Olympics and turned into a real treat because I have not really seen much more since then because I have been on the road.
I also took advantage to walk to Pike Place market on my final day in Seattle. 
And I still hate these crowds! I constantly said to myself, “This is why I haven’t been here lately!” Crowds in the West are different than crowds in the East. Here it is like drunken sailors unaware of their immediate surroundings-bumping and sometimes slamming into everyone/thing… in the East it is like a school of fish going with the flow… in synch with all that is in its aura’s reach. I wonder with those countries I am visiting being right on the edge of East and West, which I will experience…maybe it’ll be some interesting combination of both?!
After checking mail with the lovely Katie who is taking my mail while I am away, I left Seattle early on Wednesday the 17th.
I took my final ferry from West Seattle to Southworth (Port Orchard) across the Puget Sound.
I wanted to be sure to catch this ferry so was 45 minutes early which allowed me time to walk up to a coffee shop and buy coffee gifts for my coffee deprived Peace Corps friends. Love Seattle quaint coffee shops! They can be found on just about every corner in Seattle.
But if you are one those friends who thinks to be a recipient of the yummy Seattle coffee… don’t get too excited cuz I have decided it is something I can mail later if I have over-packed ;)
The advantage of being first in line is you get a killer front row view while crossing over to the other side to Southworth. Man I will miss those Olympic mountains! From there it is an hour drive to Shelton where I would stop by storage, then the house one last time.
(check out all the orbs!)
Somehow I managed to fit in a lunch with Chaplin O’Donnell to review my work at the prison… So glad to have had such a positive influence!! My class has been said to be one of the best ever! That makes me really happy—mostly because I really believe in what I offered…much of which flourished through the teachings of my Doctorate program. This spiritual way of life stuff really works J
Then off to OR by 12:30PM. I arrived Oregon City at 4:30. I was so happy to stay with Georgette this time. Her home is tucked away in the woods just outside Portland,
along the river. It sits on sacred ground--rich with blessed shrines 
and figures signifying memorable moments of life.
This magnificent carving represents her recent union with hubby George.
Ever since Georgette and I met in our Doctorate program, she has remained close to my heart…such a wise and beautiful soul! A soul sister for sure!! It was such a joy to take a nice long walk and talk about our mother’s.
Another doctorate friend Ruth came over for dinner. She had just returned from an India pilgrimage and left with us a kind of vibration that felt a bit like a lullaby—a perfect ending to a long day that started in Seattle at Jordon’s and ended in a cozy bed at Georgette’s. The combination of love and offerings rocked me to sleep and gifted me with one of the best nights of sleep I have had since … my God… I can’t even think of the last time I could have uttered those words of a good night sleep. It must have been well before my Mom’s terminal illness was diagnosed in early July.
Leaving the Pacific Northwest means also faring good well to all those beautiful mountain ranges of the Olympics and Cascades. Here is Mount Hood, the majestic mountain I affectionately named the perfect pimple in youth. I am not sure why?! Puberty I suppose… 
I drove a full day to my Aunts home in Brookings OR. Strange to think it was just a few months ago I was watching whales and sitting on the hood of my car when I decided to do what I am doing right now. Leave WA and travel to AZ (Arizona) and AZ (Azerbaijan), Turkey and who knows where else.
I arrived around 5PM, enjoyed an amazing bowl of clam chowder with my Aunt, watched a little of the Olympics and then took a full day to check email and tie up some loose ends in Brookings. I went down to the beach and hoped to go kayaking or surfing. After all I have one of my kayaks on top my Sante Fe and my body board in the cab. But it was cold, windy and a wild sea…
So I started this blog, took a few self photos once again
…Mac should pay me for this cool photo
…call it Mac and mirror.
I ended my evening having a wonderful steak and lobster dinner with my aunt at a really cool art gallery/fine-dining restaurant, watched more of the Olympics and then to bed about 11:30PM.
Next I head south down I-5 into CA to my favorite cousin’s home (the daughter of the Aunt I stayed with) in Vacaville CA for the night. It is a long drive along the coast and I look forward to it in just a few hours. Then the next morning I will drive into Death Valley and stay there for the night (this will really test my supposed 30 degree sleeping bag). The next day I will continue heading east and begin life in a new time zone as I pass into Arizona and into Flagstaff. Kate! Here I come.
I will stay there and check things out for 4-5 days, then take the Greyhound to Phoenix where I will stay the night with yet another amazing friend, Tom who once lived in Seattle and then off to Turkey I go March 2nd! No more cell phone, no more home but lots of adventure lurks on the Horizon for me. I can’t wait to be riding a motorcycle on my way to some Sufi rich region in Turkey… and wherever else I am allowed to ride one as an adventurous American woman on the loose! Bring it ON!!
Peace out!!!!





4 comments:
...and happy travels - sounds like you're in for quite an adventure.
with care
Alex
Bon Voyage and best wishes, Shaz.
Jann McGuire
Many blessings!!!
Joni
Hey Shaz,
Thanks for the visitation… you look like Artemis flying through the woods with her bow and arrow on the hunt for adventure.
Happy trails!
Georgette
Post a Comment