OK So I have been pretty bad about posting lately because I have been intending to give a little historical context but ya know, that was not the space I was in.
I have met so many amazing people and been enjoying THAT ride.
So here is a quick recap of my trip thus far:
Started in Istanbul... those who are geographically challenged as I can be. I got ya dialed with a link to square ya away here. Click on the Blue Mosque photo to take ya there
.It was early March and I didn't do much but walk around, ride trains to take care of my blown out Mac cord and freeze my ass off. It was cold!!! I finally got out of Istanbul 6 days into my 3 months sojourn.
Istanbul Highlights: The vibe I caught standing in the Mosque square listening to the various mosque chant from their evening prayers. It was the most beautiful chanting confab I have ever experienced.
This photo cracked me up. I thought it ironic that the image is inside the train which means you get at least one shot to get on the train safely before being forewarned that the train doors will cut your face off.
It was in Istanbul were I was talked into a tour which cost me an arm and leg but it was the kick start I needed for the next 10 days. I went to Cappadocia first a place everyone should visit especially if you enjoy hiking and amazing hot air balloon rides. Its earliest settlers (Hittities) were there from around 1800 - 1200 BC (mind boggling!) Then came the Persian and Roman kingdoms. It was during the Roman and Byzantine period when this area became a refuge for Christians whose presence is most apparent with the various murals on cave walls. I was there for 4 days.
Cappadocia Highlights: The views!!! and juxtaposition of old and new and of course... the amazing wine!
Next up Pamakkule. Most stay there for just a day but I was eager to go paragliding which didn't happen there but it is where I met a Turkish guy named Soner whose friendship lured me back a few weeks later. Pamakkule is best known for its unique travertine (calcium carbonate) shelves and pool in the shadow of this otherwise pretty slow-paced town. These pools of water were created when warm mineral water cooled and deposited its calcium. The Romans built Hierapolis--a large spa city in an effort to seize the healing powers of this curative water.
(photo: my cool tour guide, and two med students from Japan)
Pamakkule Highlights: Those healing waters, and Soner who perhaps also had healing powers. After visiting with him, the sexual harassment I was receiving daily up to that point pretty much stopped!!
Next was Ephesus which was taking me to the coast. I stayed in Selcuk a few kilometers outside the town. It was really cool to be there. The vibration was on in this amazing classical Roman trading city. One can really get a feel for how it once was. So well preserved!
Afterward we stopped by the location where the Virgin Mary allegedly lived and died.
The next day I went to a little wine village called Sirence. There they had wine tasting all over so by the end of the 3 hours I really didn't need to buy a bottle of wine--caught the buzz. Besides, I wasn't all too impressed with what was mostly a fruity selection.
Ephesus / Selcuk Hightlights:
Of course... Ephesus. And I must say...falling upon another synchronicity with a friend with whom I have had many before. I found on the table where I was taking breakfast one morning the book Julie and Julia. Relating to our friendship just 2 days earlier, this friend mentioned I should check it out. Out of all the books in the world, this was the one that was there awaiting me!
In front of the library
Walking into the infamous city of Ephesus.After I was finished with the tour I was on my own. I stopped first in the coastal city of Marmaris which I didn't like at all--too mondern--boring! So left early in the morning the next day for Fethiye. This was the city I fell in love with and have already wrote about some. The waterways and mountains remind me of Washington.
It was here where I met the Dutch guys with whom I celebrated my birthday by paragliding, eating and drinking all too well. On the 7th and final day I hung out with a Brazilian guy named Thomas who I would meet up with in Pamakkule the next day--my second visit there.
Fethiye Highlights:
The motorbike riding all through mountains, spectacular views and new friends.
I decided to take Soner up on his offer to come back to Pamakkule and he'd make sure my second stay was better. Though not much to do--Soner was amazing host. Hanging and hiking a bit with Thomas was fun. We ended our time together by smoking apple tobacco nargileh. I am a staunch non-smoker but this wasn't all too bad to be honest.
I know--weird to see me puffing away eh?Thomas looks way coolier doesn't he?
I was there only 2 nights and a day...off I went back down to the coast on an all day bus ride to Olympos where I slept in a tree house (actually a cabin on stilts). It was like camping with the hammocks, gazebo-like sitting areas covered in cushions and crackling campfires at night. It was here where I swear to God I must have met half of Germany! So many German's here...Americans too which surprised me! There aren't a lot of traveling Americans otherwise that I have noticed.
I walked a 4 hour trek with Annette (German woman) on the night of a full moon to the infamous Chimera also known as Yanartas or Burning Rock. Myth has it that the son of Typhon--a fierce and monstrous son of Gaia (earth goddess) was so frightening that Zeus set him ablaze and buried him alive under Mt. Etna. Today gas still seep from the earth and burst into flame when coming in contact with air. One theory explains that tectonic plates create the friction needed to create the spark to keep the flame burning. I loved the moon-light journey which included walking through knee high cold ocean water in the middle of the night.
The flames really do look monstrous and scary don't they?
Scary!It was about 2AM by the time we returned. I curled up in my little tree house and blankets and went fast asleep after that long journey.
The next day I would visit more ruins and climb to the top of a castle that overlooks the sea!
I will save those photos for the next blog entry ... this one is full and I really want to dedicate the next few days to my new German friends who I met the next day and who graciously drove me from Olympus after staying there a few days with them, into Kas for 2 days and back into Fethiye where I am once again... that is next ... I need to hit the sack though now.
Peace out!
Shaz
Here's a tease!

No comments:
Post a Comment