Just got back into the US after my 3 month sojourn. Started my journey back with a canceled flight in Istanbul which turned out perfect because instead of Delta I got to fly Turkish Airlines an hour earlier (This is why I knew I needed to be the airport 3 hours early-had a weird feeling). Turkish Airlines is amazing. Lots of food and amenities and comfort. Delta on the other hand...definitely NOT my favorite airline! In fact I will try to avoid them from now on!
JFK airport was only slightly better than my Moscow experience. Note to self: another place I will try to avoid. Luckily though, my row 27 in the plane was just me (the only in the entire plane). The sleeping Gods were looking over me and so after I politely directed a few sympathetic passengers to another row of open seating who wanted to sit in my row and hence ruin my dreams of lying horizontal, and after taxiing on the run-way for over an hour at JFK and getting into the air, I laid down in the fetal position, stuck in my ear-plugs from my care-package gift from Turkish air-and did my best to get a few hours of semi-sleep. Hard when you got a loud talker in the row across. But I was grateful for the row nervelessness.
Got into PHX just in time to catch the last Metro to get me near the Greyhound (walked 1/2 mile) where there I waited less than an hour for the bus that would take me to Flagstaff without stopping--that 2.5 hrs went well. Over 32+ hours of traveling and I was in a bed at 5PM Istanbul time...I left at 9 AM Wednesday (got up at 6AM) and with time-zone change, was in PHX at 10PM-Flagstaff and bed at 3:30AM. If only my body could condense time like that.
It was definitely well worth it but very odd to come back to the US. I have a lot to figure out and soon. I am grateful for Kate who picked me up in Flagstaff- a place, thanks to her I can feel I have a home.
But now onto the next phase in my life ... I think I will write one more summary of my trip because there is definitely lingering feelings. I cry when I think about what Azerbaijan turned out to be and I smile when I recall what I gained through out this entire experience.
In the end...that's where I wanna be...knowing that every little thing WILL be alright. And that is where I will leave it. I have much to do my first day back in the states before the weekend approaches. Peace out!
This was one of my favorite moments in Barcelona ... The singers are in front of an old and well visited Catholic church... This mantra I dedicate to this trip ... and life :)JFK airport was only slightly better than my Moscow experience. Note to self: another place I will try to avoid. Luckily though, my row 27 in the plane was just me (the only in the entire plane). The sleeping Gods were looking over me and so after I politely directed a few sympathetic passengers to another row of open seating who wanted to sit in my row and hence ruin my dreams of lying horizontal, and after taxiing on the run-way for over an hour at JFK and getting into the air, I laid down in the fetal position, stuck in my ear-plugs from my care-package gift from Turkish air-and did my best to get a few hours of semi-sleep. Hard when you got a loud talker in the row across. But I was grateful for the row nervelessness.
Got into PHX just in time to catch the last Metro to get me near the Greyhound (walked 1/2 mile) where there I waited less than an hour for the bus that would take me to Flagstaff without stopping--that 2.5 hrs went well. Over 32+ hours of traveling and I was in a bed at 5PM Istanbul time...I left at 9 AM Wednesday (got up at 6AM) and with time-zone change, was in PHX at 10PM-Flagstaff and bed at 3:30AM. If only my body could condense time like that.
It was definitely well worth it but very odd to come back to the US. I have a lot to figure out and soon. I am grateful for Kate who picked me up in Flagstaff- a place, thanks to her I can feel I have a home.
But now onto the next phase in my life ... I think I will write one more summary of my trip because there is definitely lingering feelings. I cry when I think about what Azerbaijan turned out to be and I smile when I recall what I gained through out this entire experience.
In the end...that's where I wanna be...knowing that every little thing WILL be alright. And that is where I will leave it. I have much to do my first day back in the states before the weekend approaches. Peace out!
2 comments:
Welcome home Shaz and thank you for sharing your memoirs of the trip. I have enjoyed reading them and experiencing your heart from across the globe.
Love,
Susan
Shaz,
I can't make the June event,,,,
but want you to know my world is richer for having read of your travels....
Gentle return to this wild and wooly US culture.....
Penny
__._,_.___
Post a Comment