The overnight bus to Pamakkale was not bad at all. Compared to the first ride from Istanbul to Cappadocia where the bus driver took a wrong exit and ON THE FREEWAY, put the giganitc bus in reverse for over 1.5 km. Every vehicle passing honked so I don't think this is common practice...it was weird and scary. I was on the passenger side of the bus so it wasn't as scary as the wide eyed tourist on the drivers side. That ride in so many ways was AWFUL! But this one was great. The smoking driver (in a non-smoking bus) even rolled down the window when I politely asked him. He didn't blare the radio nor did he talk loudly in the middle of the night like the other one. We even got in 2 hours before schedule which aloud me to sleep horizontally for 3 more hours.
The tour was really nice. We explored the an ancient city ... see photos. But what caught my eye was the para sailing taking off the cliff above the ancient city ruins. So...I decided to stay an extra day so I can do that today!! Little scary that they don't have lessons but I brought my helmet! There is a guide apparently so I am going for it. It'll be a bit chilly but I am dressed for the occasion and can't wait. The driver will come anytime to pick me up. So if this blog entry suddenly stops that is why...I'll pick it up later. But anyhow, Pamakkale was only meant to be a day tour and off to Ephesus but I couldn't resist and I wanted to try out the Turkish bath that was billed to be above average. It was fine ... I didn't have enough money to have a scrub-down but it was OK, I didn't like that I'd be topless and know men would be gawking like they were with other women. I think if I do it again, I'll do a woman only day.
So here are some photos...
These are photos of the Melis Hotel where I stayed. This is where I had breakfast. There is a sitting area (L) the meal area with a bar in the back (C) and the eating area.
This is what I have to eat EVERY morning for breakfast. It gets old but at least it is a balanced meal and pretty healthy. This is a larger than average portion.This home is across the street from my hotel. I loved watching the women work...there wasn't a man to be seen at this home.
Here is Can...the sexy receptionist with whom I couldn't resist having a glass of wine (yes he is breaking the rules by drinking on the job).
These two photos (above / below) are taken on my "liminal" walk. See what I mean ... the juxtaposition of modern day and ancient day is omnipresent.
NOW ONTO PAMAKKALE... This is my driver below...he says funny things over and over. "Look at me, (extending his hand to shake) I am Jack Nicholson but skinnier and more good looking." After the 3rd time I had to feign a laugh but whatever...these guys work 7 days a week, 12 hour days and are happy ... give me Jack if that's what makes your day ya know?!
He also often sings happy birthday and his own variation of jingle bells.
"Jingle bell Jingle bell, jingle jingle jingle (and continuing his tune he'll add) ...and that is all I know."
"Jingle bell Jingle bell, jingle jingle jingle (and continuing his tune he'll add) ...and that is all I know."
Thought I'd try the natural mud in nature!
OK ... I think my driver has arrived and this is a great place to stop...Next up will be photos from the ancient city and perhaps my flying through the air ...
It's a bit overcast right now but I am going for it!~!!
Wish me luck ... I hope the guide speaks English!!
1 comment:
Hey Shaz,
this is Martin. Nice to see you having a good time in turkey further. Remember that short journey on the road from Olympos to Kas? We were singing in the car and having lunch in that little harbour to close to Kas.
Do you still have all those pictures you made from this trip? I would REALLY love to see and have them.
Please mail me if you like. My mail address is "dermartin at gmx dot net" or just add me on facebook (Martin Gutsch, Berlin).
Thank you so much and have a nice trip.
Hugs, Martin
Post a Comment